Subject: Three if by network... (Re: Spectrum Emulator for C64)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sinclair,comp.sys.cbm,comp.emulators.cbm

In article <[email-masked]>,
Damien Burke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On 25 May 1997 21:14:06 GMT, [email-masked] (Stephen
>Judd) wrote:
>
>>While it's a foreign concept (literally) to many Europeans, a disk
>>drive extends that much further: once freed of the shackles of a
>>tape drive, you can store things on disk and retrieve them when
>>needed
>
>This really takes the piss, and is the usual US = shiny techno
>place, Europe = fifthy medieval dungeon bollocks. Seeing as

Quite the opposite.  I simply put the question to you: is anything
in my above statement erroneous?  As I see it, it contains three
main points, here outlined for the tunneled of vision:

	1. Most Europeans used tape drives instead of disk drives.
	2. A disk drive is much more flexible than a tape drive.
	3. Some Europeans, yourself perhaps, often don't
	   understand why a disk drive is more useful than a tape
	   drive, perhaps because they've never had one, or used
	   programs which take advantage of a disk drive.  See
	   point #1.

As to the spurious nationalistic accusational sanctimony, I find
that many people, when they have nothing really spectacular or witty
to say, resort to attempting to change the subject with spurious 
nationalistic accusational sanctimony.

The most elusive thing however is why some Europeans think that the
USA views them all as ignorant peons, who when taken city by city
have an aggregate I.Q. sufficient for shoe tying*.  In point of fact,
many people in the USA cannot even find Europe on a map, let alone
care what Europeans are doing or thinking.  I thus take such statements
as statements of general insecurity, for reasons unknown.

* Although it would explain Tony Blair ;-) ;-)

>these 'European' tape drives (drive?) were faster than your 64's
>disk drive, I don't think we missed out there, did we?

I have no idea.  As I have said, I have no experience with Spectrums.
Tape drives on the 64 are certainly not as fast as disk drives on
the 64 though, especially accelerated disk drives.

Somehow, though, I thought my point was that a disk drive was much more
flexible and useful than a tape drive.  Ah well...

>>And sold far less everywhere else in the free world.
>
>Absolute utter crap. Please list every single country where the
>64 outsold the Speccy, and please explain why you do not class
>countries such as Portugal as being in this lovely 'free world'
>you Yanks are always on about. And while you're at it, why not

Yeah, we kicked your ass in 1776 and again in 1812, so there.

>drop the 'free' bit entirely and we'll ask the East Europeans
>and Russians which 8-bit machine was more successful, eh?
>
>>of units -- the #1 selling computer of all time.
>
>And there was me thinking that was the 80x86 based PC.

Well, that would explain why you are wrong.

	evetS-